Boudhanath Prayer Flags - On Halloween Night...

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Booking Train Berths from Bed....

After checking out maps with Lupin, and getting all excited for a long train ride across India, I decided to go online and make a reservation. We'll fly into Bangalore, spend 2 weeks there, then take a 2-day/2-night train north to Agra. It's about 2,500 kms. of chugging across India, so we want to have reserved sleepers.

I'd used the official Indian Railway site a few years ago, and it was pretty strait-forward... THIS time wasn't so smooth! I sat in bed with the laptop & tried booking tonight. It took about 15 attempts, 3 hours, 3 credit/debit cards, 2 calls to VISA, and 1 frustrated Daddy. The train trip is one month away, but there were only a few sleepers left. Each time I failed, or my bank failed me, I watched the available berths slipping away.... From 27 available, to 16 available, to 6 RAC (reservation against cancellation), to 1 WL (waitlist). Egads! What is going on in Bangalore? Is everyone online trying to book tickets to Agra on MY train???? So I finally gave up on the official IRCTC website, and tried a travel agent based in India; "Make My Trip.com" The booking and payment worked the very first time!!!! Yahoooo.... well, they DID charge me an extra 150 Rupees booking fee ($4). So we are now numbers 1 through 5 on the Waitlist, which is pretty good odds we'll be confirmed! That works out to 5 sleeper beds, in a reserved air-con train coach, for 2 days & nights... for $128! Now I can go to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment